Turkey buster routine… keeping you trim and strong – great if you’re already panicking about the Big Day. You know the one where the big fat fella in the red coat drops down the chimney to leave gifts under the tree. Leaving dirty footprints and another person for you to clean up after.
Thing is, we all know that he doesn’t and that in fact, it’s you running around, buying, wrapping and delivering. It’s you that’s worrying about the size of the turkey, stressing how many sacks of brussels sprouts are needed and if three puddings are enough.
It’s your ‘to-do’ list that is growing and your arms that are aching from the umpteenth trip to the shops. Most days ending with you flopped on the sofa with no thought to posture as you rub your sore neck and aching knees. Complaining about the return of your tennis elbow … which is madness because you’ve not picked up a racket since the strawberry season ended.
If this isn’t you right now it potentially will be. With that in mind, the Sarum Physio team thought it time to share some simple exercises. That will strengthen those leg muscles and support those knees ready for shopping, partying and cooking. Plus, lifting that oversized turkey in and out of the oven – the one you bought so you’ve enough for Boxing Day and into the New Year!
Close the curtains and give them a go, aim for three sets of ten, with a 2-2-2 tempo – turn the stereo up and enjoy.
- From a warrior stance, bend your front knee and place your forearm on your thigh. Reach your top arm to the sky.
- Rotate your chest toward the sky. Tighten your glutes while lowering your hips and pressing them forward.
- With every inhale, lengthen your spine.
- With every exhale, sink your hips toward the floor.
- Repeat on the other side.
Alternate forward lunge
- Stand with your knee at hip width, take a step forward and bend your knee and hip to 90 degrees.
- Keep your torso and your hip stable and the foot aligned with the knee and the hip.
- Return in control to the starting position and repeat.
Standing knee lift
- Stand up with your feet about hip width
- Lift one knee at a time to hip level.
- Keep the body straight as you do the exercise.
Plantar flex in half squat
- Stand with your feet wide apart and facing outward.
- Bend your knees and put your hands on your waist.
- Lift both heels simultaneously off the floor as high as you can.
- Lower your foot and repeat.
Unilateral plantar flexion iso
- Position yourself against the wall on your hands with one leg up and the thigh parallel to the ground.
- The support foot should be pointing directly forward.
- Raise yourself on the toes and hold the position.
- Start in a plank position against a table or piece of stable furniture with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Your body should be at a 45-degree angle with the ground.
- With your body stable and completely straight, bend the arms to bring the chest close to the table.
- Push-back to the starting position.
- Keep your chin tucked during the exercise.
While we can’t help with the shopping and not available on Christmas Day to remind you to ‘bend those knees’ as you lift the turkey out of the oven. We hope you find the exercises helpful in your preparation for the big day.
At Sarum Physio, we believe you should consider approaching Christmas Day in the same way you’d prepare for a skiing trip or big match,. To ensure you get as much out of the day itself as those you’ve prepared it for. Meaning by the time the Queen’s speech is over and afternoon film on your relaxing in your favourite chair, drink in hand and box of chocolates close by – with not an ache or pain to mention.
If you’re already feeling the strain of Christmas here are a three ways Sarum might be able to help.
- Winter feet in sandals are never attractive, book a chiropody appointment and show off your dancing toes with pride.
- Worried about an old injury that might prevent you from dancing the night away … give us a call and let’s see if physio will sort you out.
- Already exhausted, we hear you and suggest a massage to work away the stress and tension your body is holding.
One final thing. If you’re not sure what to buy the sportsman in your life or the wonderful woman who we’ve just described above this year. Pop into reception and pick up a Sarum Voucher. The gift that keeps on giving.