Put your best foot forward. May is National Walking Month and there is no better time to get your boots on. Okay, so a tramp across the Moors isn’t your thing. No problem, take a walk at lunchtime in your local park, walk to work or to the shops.
According to a poll by Cancer Research UK in 2016 half of adults walk NO more than 2,000 steps a day, thats less than a mile. Perhaps due to the state of pavements, pollution on the streets and inclement weather BUT most likely because you are time poor.
Here are six reasons you should start walking:
- It improves your mood, because as we know exercise gets endorphins working.
- A great way to improve your fitness, which in turn could help you to lose weight.
- Obviously great for your overall health with a daily thirty minute walk shown to reduce blood pressure and risk of stroke.
- Gets your creative juices flowing providing you time to think and reflect.
- Walking reduces the risk of various veins and can help reduce swelling and restlessness. You will also achieve a great looking pair of legs.
- It’s great for your digestive system and keeping you regular.
Depending on the type of walking you will be doing you might consider warming up first. This can be achieved in less than three minutes with simple ankle circles, leg swings, pelvic loops and arm circles.
Walking is a chance to get out in the fresh air and enjoy your local parks and green spaces with a friend. Or an opportunity for ‘me time’ by ditching the friend and plugging in your favourite music or podcaster. It’s the cheapest exercise you can do and has many of the benefits of going to the gym.
Start walking this May to celebrate National Walking Month.
If you’re worried about an old injury or find walking difficult or uncomfortable come and see us at Sarum Physio. Tell us what you want to achieve from walking, where the aches and pains are and we shall work out a treatment plan just for you. Call 01722 415 055 to book.